Hi! I’m Sam Manzella, a freelance writer and editor. I’m currently an Associate Editor at Logo’s NewNowNext. I’ve written for outlets like MTV News, Apartment Therapy, Healthline, Vice, Hudson Valley Magazine, and more. My work has been nominated for a Shorty Award and cited in publications like Smithsonian and GQ.
I enjoy drinking iced coffee and getting tattooed, albeit not at the same time.
I’m a Brooklyn-based freelance writer, editor, and social media strategist specializing in LGBTQ news and culture.
Drop me a line at samantha.manzella[at]gmail.com ✨
- How LGBTQ People Are Reimagining the Tradition of Friendsgiving in a Pandemic, Apartment Therapy
- Mxmtoon, Social Media’s Savviest Indie-Pop Singer, Is Ready For A Nap, MTV News
- Candles and Queer Culture, Explained, Apartment Therapy
- Screw Making Nice: The Chicks Are Ready for Change, Logo
- Is the New “L Word” the TV Breakthrough That Trans Men Need?, Logo
- “The Politician” Actor Theo Germaine Is Playing the Most Refreshing Trans Character on Television, Logo
- Love Synth Pop? Thank Wendy Carlos, the Trans Woman Who Invented It., Logo
- How One Tattoo Helped Me Overcome a Lifetime of Insecurity About My Physical Deformity, Healthline
- Iced Coffee as Gay Culture: An Exploration, Logo
multimedia and video
Finalist, The Shorty Social Good Awards (2020)
press and appearances
In recent years, cultural critic Sam Manzella pointed out in a dive for Logo’s NewNowNext that paralleling the rise of iced coffee has been its ingrainment in the queer community, writing, somewhat tongue-in-cheekily that today the drink has become to “the queer community what pinot grigio is to suburban wine moms”.What’s the Deal With Ordering Iced Coffee in the Winter?, Smithsonian